Lured by a enjoyable day trip, final 12 months I purchased a Husqvama 701 and began kitting it out to make it much more superior. That included becoming a rekluse clutch.

To blow out the cobwebs over the summer time, our native bike group met for a journey to the coast utilizing as many inexperienced lanes as doable. Spirits had been excessive and as I sat within the line of visitors, one in every of my mates leant over from his KTM to muck about and rev my throttle as a joke (I had additionally seen him flip another person’s kill change off as a ‘joke’).

Nonetheless, what my hilarious mate had forgotten (and we had solely spoken about it the month earlier than) is that I used to be driving with a rekluse clutch. As you can be conscious, this robotically engages and disengages the clutch primarily based on engine rpm. On this case, I used to be sat with the bike in first gear, so what occurred subsequent was about as enjoyable as trapping your gentleman sausage in your flies. I shot off, crashing into the again of a model new Mercedes. I went over the handlebars and fractured my neck. Not good.

My insurer has paid out to the Mercedes proprietor. Nonetheless, his declare has affected my insurance coverage file and I’m questioning what I can do, if something i.e. as a result of I wasn’t truly hit by my mate and I rear ended another person. Do I simply need to chalk this up as a foul expertise and transfer on with my life?

Reply

Not precisely the journey out anybody desires. No, you don’t ‘simply need to chalk this up as a foul expertise’. Your insurer paying out the Mercedes proprietor is a brilliant transfer as he was actually an harmless sufferer i.e. your bike hit the rear of him. Your insurer in all probability needed to keep away from an costly rent and storage declare and so on.

Whereas your mate (I think it wasn’t malicious, however what a ball bag) didn’t hit you, your accidents arose from his negligence that occurred whereas he was driving his bike. Subsequently, I think your insurer will likely be seeking to get their outlay again out of your mate’s insurer. In the event that they try this, your insurance coverage file ought to get sorted.

As in your accidents, you may make a declare in opposition to your mate and his insurer. While it’s a little bit of a bizarre one, his insurer should pay out for his negligence.

Andrew Prendergast

Extra Bikes December 2022