Saturday 3 June 2023

East River Racing within the Seventies


By Sandy Hackney

The story of East River Racing started in September 1969, all as a result of I had been seen risking life and limb on a ’69 Yamaha YDS3 (250cc) on a collection of curvy roads in Durham, NC that Summer time.  A mechanic on the native Yamaha store stated to me, “You must race.”  Huh?  However the seed was planted, and there was a AAMRR Labor Day race weekend arising at VIR; it was a number of days lengthy and featured one 5-hour race.  After exploring this some, I approached an area roofing firm, who usual a set of enlargement chambers to TD1 specs and I used to be set! High pace was elevated to about 110mph; damned thrilling.

The story of a crew thrown collectively by circumstances, who discover they’ve a lot in frequent. Their racing group toolbox continues to be in use over 50 years later. [Sandy Hackney]

The race went as anticipated, with me unloading a time or two – as soon as when my entrance brake cable snapped on the finish of the entrance straight and I bumped into a man I used to be “outbraking.” I survived and we completed 4th in a mild rain.  What subsequent?! Clearly I wanted a “actual” racer, so I purchased a used TD1C from the fabled Bob Sharp, who sadly perished a few years afterward his bike. With the TD1C, I went off to race the 1970 Daytona 200.  Which was not a complete success … I broken the crank by exceeding the purple line (a number of instances) and it blew after one lap on that legendary tri-oval.

The way it begins: take your highway bike, add enlargement chambers, and abruptly you’re off to the races. Right here with a Suzuki Titan, which was an outstanding manufacturing racer. Sandy Hackney and tuner Ginny Carlson tenting at Daytona. [Sandy Hackney]
I moved to NYC and commenced to satisfy like-minded buddies. Quickly Invoice Nelson, pictured by the door of our racing truck, joined me together with his personal TD1C. We started to marketing campaign up and down the East Coast: Summit Level, Bridgehampton, VIR, Street Atlanta, Pocono Speedway, Daytona, Nelson Ledges, and so forth. Within the 1971 version of Daytona I positioned in the course of the sector, gained $40 and handled Invoice and our ‘tuners’ to a first-rate rib dinner. Someplace Invoice obtained the concept of shopping for a 250 Ducati racer so he might, as he stated, “Nip at my heels.” On his first trip he took off and, because the gearing was very tall, he picked up pace slowly. He accelerated to round 80mph and was going to shift, however discovered he was already in 4th! High pace! A good suggestion for racing within the Forties perhaps. Again to Yamahas.
With the ‘tuners’ within the paddock, a few of whom grew to become wives! Invoice Nelson and tuner Judy Bloom tenting at Daytona. [Sandy Hackney]

The post East River Racing within the Seventies appeared first on lickscycles.com.



source https://lickscycles.com/east-river-racing-within-the-seventies/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=east-river-racing-within-the-seventies

No comments:

Post a Comment

2025 CFMOTO Ibex 450 Overview | First Experience

The 2025 CFMOTO Ibex 450 is a good addition to the ADV phase. We gave it a correct thrash on the world launch in Palawan, Philippines, a...