Monday 2 October 2023

Honda “CB466F” Café Racer – BikeBound


Honda CB400F Cafe Racer

466cc Honda Cafe Racer from Motorelic… 

First obtainable in 1975, the Honda CB400F (“400 4”) showcased Honda’s technical prowess. Right here was a miniaturized 408cc model of their bigger fours, full with café-inspired styling, nimble dealing with, and an exhaust observe paying homage to Honda’s small displacement race bikes.

Honda CB400F Cafe Racer

Robert Smith of Motorbike Classics nonetheless remembers his first experience on a pal’s 400 4 in 1975, again when his day by day driver was a BSA Victor, a “partially civilized grime bike.”

“A pal presents me a experience on his new CB400F. I’m not going to love this, I inform myself. It’s a wussy rice burner. I’m nonetheless attempting to child myself that it’s nothing particular once I hand it again. Simply six years separate the Beezer from the F-bike, however the distinction is big; it’s just like the House Shuttle simply landed within the Stone Age.”

Then there was the exhaust observe coming from the 4-into-1 pipes — probably the loveliest set of manufacturing facility pipes ever on a manufacturing bike.

“We’re all acquainted now with the howl of a high-revving multi exhaling by means of a single pipe, however in 1975 this siren sound was new on the road.” –Motorbike Classics

Honda CB400F Cafe Racer

If there was one weak spot to the 400 4, it was the ability output. It was by no means a motorcycle that was about straight-line acceleration, however in 1975, with muscle automobiles and two-strokes nonetheless prowling the streets, 37 hp and a 1/4-mile time within the low 14s simply didn’t reduce the mustard. The CB400F by no means offered effectively, particularly within the States, and has developed one thing of a cult following over time. It makes you surprise: What if the 400 4 had only a bit extra punch?

Honda CB400F Cafe Racer

Enter considered one of our favourite builders, Sean Skinner of Virginia’s Motorelic, who obtained a name from a buyer in Baltimore with a ’75 CB400F that had a 466cc large bore package, hotter cam, and a few gentle porting executed again within the 80s. Sean’s curiosity was instantly piqued, as was ours when he instructed us. In spite of everything, we’ve featured some 12-15 customized 400 Fours over time, and none of them had these mods.

Honda CB400F Cafe Racer

The proprietor, Roger, wished to rework the bike’s type and efficiency to match engine, creating his dream bike. When Sean noticed the donor, he might inform it was in stable form — however that wasn’t going to cease him.

“I might virtually hear the tears of the purist hitting the bottom as I considered how I used to be going to chop it up. However, that’s what I do.”

Honda CB400F Cafe Racer

Sean offers us the total rundown on the construct beneath, however highlights embrace a GSX-R entrance finish, rear monoshock conversion, customized 18-inch wheels laced up by Virginia’s personal Cognito Moto, Motogadget electronics, Suzuki GS450 tank, entrance fairing and mounts, and a customized subframe.

The tail part was constructed from an NS50 tank and topped with a Counterbalance Cycles saddle. The engine breathes by means of CR26 carbs and a customized 4:4 exhaust with Cone mufflers, and Sean vapor-honed the cylinder, head, and valve cowl earlier than giving the motor a coat of VHT high-temp “Forged Iron.”

Honda CB400F Cafe Racer

Sean says he couldn’t wait to hop on the completed and really feel the distinction.

“What an unimaginable bike to experience. From the trendy suspension and brakes to the ability supply of that not so little 466cc engine. Listening to these pipes and people carbs on onerous acceleration was music to my ears. I want I might maintain it.”

Under, Sean offers us the total in-depth story of the construct, with extra pictures courtesy of Jonathan Thorpe.

CB400 4 Café Racer: Within the Builder’s Phrases…

Honda CB400F Cafe Racer

This bike was delivered to me from Baltimore, MD, and is owned by Roger B. Roger referred to as me up and instructed me about this bike that he has had for the reason that 80s. A 1975 Honda CB400F. Again then he had a 466cc large bore package put in, a highway monitor cam and a few gentle porting executed. This piqued my curiosity.

After an extended conversion about what he wished his dream bike to develop into, Roger referred to as the tow firm and had the bike delivered to me. As soon as I noticed the bike I knew it had nice bones and was in fairly respectable form. I might virtually hear the tears of the purist hitting the bottom as I considered how I used to be going to chop it up. However, that’s what I do.

Honda CB400F Cafe Racer

The primary order of enterprise was to get on the cellphone and order up some customized 18in wheels from Cognito Moto, discover a GSXR entrance finish and a CB550 swingarm. Roger requested a mono shock design that might stiffen the swingarm and Cognito occurred to make a 550 rear disc brake conversion hub!

Honda CB400F Cafe Racer

All I needed to do was make the whole lot match. The swingarm didn’t simply match. It required some minor modification to the pivot and bushings. I used 1″ DOM tubing to form the design of the monoshock arrange and used an Ikon “dial-a experience” shock. I seen straight away that I would want an offset entrance sprocket to clear the brand new 140 rear tire. I lucked out and located the proper entrance sprocket at PBI Sprockets.

Honda CB400F Cafe Racer

As soon as the suspension was sorted and the bike had the stance and geometry that I appreciated, I used to be in a position to see how the subframe wanted to be modified. I began by chopping your complete again off the body leaving simply sufficient of the unique to sleeve and begin my design. A easy customary design was made with a slight kick as much as correctly clear the tire.

The rear tail piece was made out of the again half of a Honda NS50 tank. It had a really comparable form to the GS450 tank I selected to make use of for the construct so it flows properly. The tail part holds the large 12 cell AntiGravity battery and begin solenoid. Conserving the bike wanting as tidy as potential. Fortunately the gasoline tank didn’t want an excessive amount of to make it match.

Honda CB400F Cafe Racer

As soon as the tank and tail have been mounted, the seat was subsequent. I made the metal pan hug the tank and tail. Then formed the froth to the specified look and thickness and despatched it off to Counterbalance Cycles for a clean black leather-based upholstery.

Honda CB400F Cafe Racer

Now on to what I thought of harder, the fairing mount and fairing. I ordered the Thruxton fairing from Airtech Streamlining. I hoped it was extensive sufficient to clear the large GSXR forks and circulate with the tank. I used to be not dissatisfied. It was going to work completely.

Honda CB400F Cafe Racer

Working by your self has its drawbacks when one thing must be held whereas one thing else is designed or measured. I needed to get artistic balancing the fairing and making the mount. Tape, blocks of wooden and a few sticky foam have been my store helpers to quickly maintain the fairing whereas I pieced the mount collectively.

Honda CB400F Cafe Racer

The mount was fairly the problem to design and construct however ultimately it turned out higher than I hoped. It additionally held the attractive Motogadget gauge.

Honda CB400F Cafe Racer

Talking of Motogadget, Roger went all out and requested an M-unit, 3 button switches, grips and switch alerts to match the gauge. They’re high notch jewellery for any stunning bike. The entrance fender and mirrors have been from Messner Moto and they’re very slick components.

 

The bike is wanting fairly good now. The very last thing Roger needed to have was a customized set of 4 into 4 exhaust. I referred to as up Wealthy at Cone Engineering and ordered 4 13in large mouth mufflers and all of the bends I believed I would want.

Honda CB400F Cafe Racer

I like constructing exhaust. Largely simply to listen to it once I’m executed. I attempted to include the long-lasting bends of the inventory 400 pipe however nonetheless maintain the circulate of every pipe wanting right. The top result’s a cross between the CB750 and the 400 with an incredible raspy sound.

Honda CB400F Cafe Racer

At this stage the bike is wanting prefer it’s able to experience, so it was time to tear all of it right down to make it fairly. I handed all of the powder coating off to Proper-A-Means Powder they usually laid down a horny gloss black. The paint coloration Roger picked was the Monarch Orange metallic from Nissan.

Honda CB400F Cafe Racer

Whereas that was being dealt with I set to work on making the engine look pretty much as good as the whole lot else. I additionally wished to examine the whole lot that was executed practically 40 years in the past throughout that large bore set up. As soon as aside I noticed that the whole lot regarded new. The engine clearly didn’t run for very lengthy — life obtained in the best way, I assume.

Honda CB400F Cafe Racer

I vapor-honed the cylinder, the top and valve cowl, gave the cylinder and black coat of paint, and reassembled with new gaskets and seals. The block obtained a number of coats of “forged iron” from VHT. It’s a favourite of mine. I completed off the engine construct with a brand new clutch package and all stainless {hardware}. The engine is fed with attractive CR26 carbs.

Honda CB400F Cafe Racer

Meeting went rapidly. Every thing match again collectively simply how I took it aside. The M-unit made the wiring easy and tidy. As soon as it was collectively I couldn’t hardly wait to experience it and really feel the distinction all of the onerous work and funding made.

Honda CB400F Cafe Racer

What an unimaginable bike to experience. From the trendy suspension and brakes to the ability supply of that not so little 466cc engine. Listening to these pipes and people carbs on onerous acceleration was music to my ears. I want I might maintain it.

Comply with the Builder

Extra MotoRelic Builds


 



The post Honda “CB466F” Café Racer – BikeBound appeared first on lickscycles.com.



source https://lickscycles.com/honda-cb466f-cafe-racer-bikebound/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=honda-cb466f-cafe-racer-bikebound

No comments:

Post a Comment

2025 CFMOTO Ibex 450 Overview | First Experience

The 2025 CFMOTO Ibex 450 is a good addition to the ADV phase. We gave it a correct thrash on the world launch in Palawan, Philippines, a...