Saturday 21 October 2023

Remembering Jack Riepe – Scooter within the Sticks


John Patrick "Jack" Riepe portrait
John Patrick “Jack” Riepe — March 10, 1954 to October 18, 2023

Phrases, Smiles, Laughter and the Battered Child Seal Face.

With nice unhappiness I’ve to report the passing of Jack Riepe, author, speaker, and evangelist of BMW Okay bikes. Particularly the K75 fashions. His humor was evident within the month-to-month BMW House owners Information column he wrote, in his books, his talks and shows, and in any dialog you may need with him.

The motorbike world misplaced somebody particular.

Within the above picture Jack was demonstrating to me his Battered Child Seal look. A signature search for him akin to Zoolander’s Blue Metal. He insisted any girl he was occupied with melted from that gaze. Seeing them flock round him on the BMW Rally in Bloomsburg I form of believed him.

Steve Williams with a manuscript and his Vespa scooter
Using with the manuscript for “Conversations with a Bike.”

Writer and Author

Jack requested me if I might have a look at a draft of “Conversations with a Bike” which arrived in my mailbox a couple of days after agreeing to learn it with the stipulation that my spouse Kim, the actual author and editor in our home may learn it too.

To say it was humorous doesn’t do the ebook or Jack’s talent with phrases justice. However I’ve a powerful reminiscence of that manuscript burned in my mind. I used to be strolling down the hallway and I may hear my spouse howling with laughter within the lavatory. She was studying the manuscript.

Kim isn’t occupied with driving, BMWs, Okay-Bikes, or something in any respect associated to bikes. However Jack’s storytelling ascended far past such mundane matters to embrace a sensitivity to time, place, folks, and emotion that I don’t discover typically. Edward Abbey’s “The Idiot’s Progress” comes closest to Jack’s voice and sensitivities for me. It’s certainly one of my favourite books.

I rode with that massive manuscript for every week, studying it at cafe stops earlier than calling Jack on the telephone to share my ideas.

Conversations with a Motorcycle
The primary revealed type.

The Excellent Using Novel

When Jack despatched the primary revealed version it got here alongside on my rides. An ideal companion that all the time left me smiling.

We talked on the telephone periodically however by no means crossed paths once more. Plans have been made to satisfy at rallies and diners however neither of us appeared in a position to make it occur. Our lives have been transferring in several instructions.

However what was great about Jack was his unbridled enthusiasm for plans and concepts. At the same time as his well being declined he was telling me in regards to the motorbike he wished to purchase and when he deliberate to journey it throughout America to place his ft within the Pacific Ocean.

I’m certain that’s what he’s doing now. Jack Riepe’s power persists in a world that wants extra laughter.

His reward to all of us.



The post Remembering Jack Riepe – Scooter within the Sticks appeared first on lickscycles.com.



source https://lickscycles.com/remembering-jack-riepe-scooter-within-the-sticks/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=remembering-jack-riepe-scooter-within-the-sticks

No comments:

Post a Comment

2025 CFMOTO Ibex 450 Overview | First Experience

The 2025 CFMOTO Ibex 450 is a good addition to the ADV phase. We gave it a correct thrash on the world launch in Palawan, Philippines, a...