Tuesday 21 November 2023

Qun Hung – One Hand Made


Thankfully it doesn’t occur typically, however typically motorbike riders go down. In his early twenties whereas dwelling outdoors Taipei, Qun Hung was simply starting to discover his pursuits in racing, modifying sports activities vehicles and constructing customized bikes. In the future, whereas using to his studio he was slammed by a automotive and hit the road arduous. When he bounced off the pavement, and life as he had recognized it modified radically. His proper hand’s nerve plexus was shattered and the medical doctors advised him he would by no means once more have full use of his proper hand and arm. With the assistance of bodily remedy and his devoted girlfriend (now his spouse), Qun obtained away from bed, actually re-tooled himself and dove again into his constructing profession full power.
Qun Hung in his OneHandMade workshop in Taipei, Taiwan. [OneHandMade]

After just a few years constructing bikes in his residence space, Qun realized if he was going to dedicate himself to constructing he wanted to pack up his stuff and transfer to the capital metropolis Taipei the place he would have entry to new supplies, higher working and dwelling areas and most significantly consumer/prospects. His spouse agreed, so he borrowed some cash and so they made the transfer.

Skinny type Triumph customized, with a transparent affect from the Falcon Kestrel, however with OneHandMade type. [Mike McCabe]

“I’ve all the time been fascinated by issues with wheels,” Qun stated. “I dreamed of turning into a racer after I was in highschool. To study extra about mechanical issues, I grew to become an apprentice in a motorbike store. The bike racing trade was declining in Taiwan. As soon as I discovered an image of a hard and fast up customized bike in a Japanese journal and that’s after I began to turn into within the customized trade. We didn’t have a lot data and principally solely older individuals rode bikes in Taiwan. I began working my very own studio on the age of twenty-two. I studied equipment and watched movies on Youtube. I watched the Indian Larry sheet metallic video time and again to ensure I didn’t miss any little element in it. I made good relationships with the native subcontractors. I discovered to function a lathe from them. The extra I discovered about the way to make customized bikes, the extra I came upon what I wanted to work on.

Qun Hung at work annealing metallic whereas working it. [Mike McCabe]

“I used to be sadly hit by a automotive whereas I used to be using my motorbike. The accident broke the nerve plexus in my proper hand. Regardless of rehabilitation my hand would by no means absolutely get well. I questioned if I’d ever have the ability to journey a bike once more. Due to my spouse’s assist my life grew to become a lot simpler. She helped me function the welding rod whereas I welded and she or he took me for a journey each time I felt like going out for a journey. So as to journey once more, I modified the throttle from the suitable hand facet to the left hand facet. It labored. I used to be so excited, and it felt like getting on a bike for the primary time. On the age of twenty-five, I went again residence and began yet again. I labored gradual as a result of I lacked among the machines and naturally, I solely have one hand. And but, prospects couldn’t perceive my difficulties. To enhance my effectivity, I added new machines to my studio.

A OneHandMade customized Triumph. [Mike McCabe]

“At the moment the plenty in Taiwan had simply began to just accept modified vehicles. And each metropolis has its personal consuming habits. I didn’t assume issues would get higher if I stayed in my residence city, so I thought-about the chance to maneuver to Taipei. That was after I modified the title of my enterprise to “Onehandmade”. What’s actually attention-grabbing was that I skilled myself to have the ability to do all this with my non-dominant left hand, and after some time my proper hand might begin to exert just a little. I truly began engaged on sheet metallic after dropping use of my arm.

A piece in progress: racing-style bodywork for a Ducati 900. [Mike McCabe]

“My accident neither broke my unique intention or introduced me down to surrender on what I really like most. I began studying one thing new and holding onto my ardour with a view to make higher builds. However I knew my thoughts had been trapped within the small metropolis the place I lived. I used to be thirty-one years previous and I borrowed some cash to maneuver to Taipei with my spouse and baby and open a brand new studio. At fist my studio appeared just a little shabby and it was arduous to draw prospects, so all I might do was deal with my work. I found that doing solely sheet metallic work wasn’t sufficient. I’m nonetheless engaged on studying new issues and hope that each tiny enchancment makes my work just a little bit higher. I modified the whole lot to a thin type after shifting to Taipei. Individuals began believing in me and let me justify myself. Lastly Onehandmade has been recognized by extra individuals. I hope that I can proceed engaged on higher builds. I’ll preserve my unique intention of loving bikes whereas growing myself.”

An city Tracker BMW R9T by OneHandMade. [Mike McCabe]

Qun Hung needed to come to phrases with a tough state of affairs that was not of his making. Along with his spouse’s assist, he actually needed to retool his physique and relearn the way to use it. His ardour for constructing customized bikes grew to become his motivating precept that prodded him ahead along with his artistic life.  And his dedication has paid off, and he’s now an internationally famend customized builder whose work reveals up all around the web.

 

 

 

Michael McCabe is a New York Metropolis tattoo artist and cultural anthropologist. He’s the writer of New York Metropolis Horsepower, Kustom Japan, New York Metropolis Tattoo, Japanese Tattooing Now, Tattoos of Indochina, and Tattooing New York Metropolis. For New York Metropolis Horsepower, Mr. McCabe spent two years discovering and documenting underground customized motorbike and automotive garages within the Metropolis, as fast gentrification put their tradition below super strain. He interviewed and photographed New York Metropolis customizers about their private histories and artistic sensibilities.

 

The post Qun Hung – One Hand Made appeared first on lickscycles.com.



source https://lickscycles.com/qun-hung-one-hand-made/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=qun-hung-one-hand-made

No comments:

Post a Comment

2025 CFMOTO Ibex 450 Overview | First Experience

The 2025 CFMOTO Ibex 450 is a good addition to the ADV phase. We gave it a correct thrash on the world launch in Palawan, Philippines, a...