Sunday 3 March 2024

Grass monitor bonus or what!


SG– It was 1960 and I had already owned my 1930 Mannequin 18 for all of 4 years. I took half in numerous Classic Membership competitions and determined to strive my hand at grass monitor – the VMCC having organised such an occasion at Cassiobury Park, Watford.  Preparation consisted of becoming a used ‘knobbly’ rear tyre and using over fastidiously as I had no fourwheeled transport on the time.

So far as I recall the monitor was a dusty bumpy oval – bumpy to such an extent that the forks clashed onto the entrance mudguard a number of occasions per lap throughout practise and the handlebar clamps moved and clouted the tank high.  Having tightened the whole lot up as a lot as potential, the machine was a bit extra controllable through the warmth and closing, wherein I feel we completed fourth and fifth!  If nothing else this dabble with grass monitoring satisfied me that street racing was extra in my line!

Nonetheless the Watford occasion resulted in two surprising ‘boni’ – definitely outweighing the occasion itself.

Bonus primary got here within the type of an introduction by J W Anstice Brown – very a lot into Classic racing Douglases – to a younger acquaintance who dealt in scrap metallic. And proper then he was within the strategy of dismantling a Norton engine and gearbox like mine. His methodology of dis-assembly concerned use of a giant sledge hammer and he instructed me proudly he had already shattered the gearbox. Nonetheless, given a small monetary incentive of £2, he agreed to desist from additional assaults on the Norton remnants till I had had an opportunity of gathering them from his backyard at close by St Albans!

Bonus quantity two was higher nonetheless! It got here from a small Welshman, to whom I used to be chatting whereas re-adjusting the handlebars. ” I’ve acquired a Norton very like that,” he mentioned. “it is fairly properly full and you’ll have it if you need – for nothing.  Solely drawback is – it is down in Wales.”

Anyway, it transpired that he labored as guard for Britsh Rail Western area, and he kindly organized to maneuver the Norton as his private baggage to the ‘left-luggage’ workplace at Swindon station. Per week or so later, he gave me a hoop to say it was there and awaiting my assortment. So I borrowed my mom’s Morris 1000 van and drove all the way down to Swindon.  With the entrance passenger seat already eliminated the ‘new’ Norton was squeezed in with out an excessive amount of of an issue.

Apparently, when my new Welsh good friend completed his shift on the London finish of the run, he used to remain in digs at Ashford, Middx.  I dropped him a line to inform him I had collected the bike and to repeat my thanks. I used to be shocked to get my letter again in just a few days marked ‘GONE AWAY.’  Sadly I didn’t have his deal with in Wales and thus misplaced contact with him nearly as quickly as I had met him.

And the Norton?  What a discover! It was a 1929 Mannequin 19 body, forks, wheels and so forth. to which had been fitted a pleasant mid twenties LS Sturmey Archer gearbox, and higher nonetheless, a dry-sump engine – by no means did examine if it was Mannequin 21 or Mannequin 25 – relationship from 1927.  In these distant days I didn’t have entry to the Norton despatch books which had been in all probability nonetheless held by the Police …

The post Grass monitor bonus or what! appeared first on lickscycles.com.



source https://lickscycles.com/grass-monitor-bonus-or-what/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=grass-monitor-bonus-or-what

No comments:

Post a Comment

2025 CFMOTO Ibex 450 Overview | First Experience

The 2025 CFMOTO Ibex 450 is a good addition to the ADV phase. We gave it a correct thrash on the world launch in Palawan, Philippines, a...