Sunday 10 March 2024

Suzuki Katana GS1000S – BikeBound


Suzuki Katana GS1000S Custom

100,000 miles on a GS1000S Katana: “She’s household, that makes her priceless…”   

In 1982, a 1000cc model of the Suzuki Katana 1100 was launched to qualify for AMA Superbike racing. The bore was sleeved down 2.6mm to make the engine 998cc, and the bike was offered within the US because the GS1000S Katana. The Twin Swirl Combustion Chambers (TSCC) had been reshaped for higher high-rpm gas atomization, making the efficiency almost equal to that of the bigger engine.

There was nothing else just like the Katana when it appeared, trying like a two-wheeled model of its razor-honed namesake, and the driving expertise equally sharp:

“Clip-on bars and rear-set pegs and controls made the Katana really feel like a way more targeted beast than its GS1100 brother. Named after a samurai sword, the Katana was meant to be a purposeful device.” –Motorbike Classics

Photograph: Motorcyclist Archives

Our new buddy Thomas Miller of Southern California caught the two-wheeled bug at a younger age, beginning off in trials — a self-discipline he nonetheless pursues at 61, driving his Montesa 4RT. As a youngster, he discovered his solution to avenue bikes in the course of the heady period of the big-bore superbikes.

“At 15, I dove head first into these and the Superbike period of the seventies and eighties. Taught myself welding, machinist, and metallic fabrication expertise as I modified any bike I might lay arms on. Put a KZ1000 motor in my Honda CB650. A tire smoking wheelie machine.”

Later, he opened a small residence store the place he did motorbike upkeep work whereas his youngsters grew up, engaged on all the pieces from the neighbor’s PW50 to the Ducati 998 SPS of a rich rider. The Katana remained a dream bike of his, and he picked up this ’82 GS1000S for $1000 after it had been laid down at Willow Springs Raceway within the early 90s.

Suzuki Katana GS1000S Custom

He rapidly realized the “blown motor” was nothing however a wire-retaining tab rubbing the flywheel, however his work was simply starting:

“First experience up Mt. Baldy street instructed me this factor didn’t like to show. That was the catalyst for my mission. I bought 1989 GSX-R1100 components and began stripping the Katana down.”

Suzuki Katana GS1000S Custom

The construct has advanced numerous instances over the a long time, however the principle modifications embody a braced body, GSX-R1100 wheels / suspension / swingarm, rear mono shock conversion with a Fox GSX-R750 “twin clicker” shock, Tokico six-piston calibers with Discacciati floating discs, unique engine with ported head and degreed cams, Keihin smoothbore carbs and Yoshimura 4:1 exhaust, 14-row oil cooler, spin-on oil filter conversion, bespoke rear-set controls…the listing goes on.

Suzuki Katana GS1000S Custom

Whereas among the restomod superbikes we characteristic learn like little greater than a bank-draining assemblage of name title components, Thomas’s Katana is a piece of home-brewed engineering, iteration, and experimentation.

“For the reason that unique construct, there have been many little refinements executed. I’ve by no means had the spare money for Ohlins, Dymag, Brembo, and many others., however I’ve at all times had the need to construct and make issues carry out higher. I wish to construct, not simply swap components.”

Suzuki Katana GS1000S Custom
Scratch-built rearset controls

Whereas Thomas has ridden lots of the quicker trendy bikes, nothing fairly compares to the sensations of this air/oil-cooled legend — no marvel he’s put greater than 100,000 miles on the bike in his 34 years of possession:

“The Kat is a blast to experience, not simply due to the eye it attracts…however the ‘old-fashioned’ acceleration. It’s not as quick as trendy machines, however you possibly can really feel the motor below acceleration straining on the chassis as if on the lookout for the chance to interrupt free.”

Suzuki Katana GS1000S Custom

Better of all, this Katana has turn into an actual a part of the household through the years.

“She was my dream bike, my date bike, in my marriage procession, two-up knee dragging with my spouse, street journeys, taking my youngsters for rides, educating them to experience her, observe time. She’s nonetheless simply as enjoyable now as after I first bought her. She’s a Katana, that makes her particular. She’s household, that makes her priceless.”

Properly stated, Thomas, very properly stated. Machines like these are the true legends — actual riders that turn into deeply entwined with the proprietor’s blood and guts, household and historical past. Thomas, good on you for holding this dream on the street and observe, within the canyons and within the household. We’re honored to characteristic it, and we hope you examine again in with us when you end that 1260cc engine for it — we’d love an replace!

Katana GS1000S Restomod: Builder Interview

Suzuki Katana GS1000S Custom

• Please inform us a bit about your self, your historical past with bikes, and your work house/store/shed.

I’m 61 years previous, born within the Pacific Northwest, lived a really lively life with 8 brothers and a couple of sisters. I used to be at all times focused on issues mechanical. I’d modify my bicycles to attempt to make them higher, stick enjoying playing cards within the spokes to simulate a motor, and many others. I lastly bought on bikes at about 12 years previous. I’d take aside carburetors simply to see how they labored.

We had by that point migrated to Southern California within the Mojave Desert. I used to be launched to Motorbike Trials about that point with a Honda TL125, which I modified to make it lighter and faster. Ended up within the Inland Empire of the Los Angeles basin the place the one bikes I might get on have been avenue machines. At 15, I dove head first into these and the Superbike period of the seventies and eighties. Taught myself welding, machinist, and metallic fabrication expertise as I modified any bike I might lay arms on. Put a KZ1000 motor in my Honda CB650. A tire smoking wheelie machine.

Suzuki Katana GS1000S Custom

I bought married at 30 to a magnificence from Brazil, moved again to the excessive desert, was in a position to work for just a few years at a small motorbike store in Phelan, CA. I then opened a small store on my property and did motorbike upkeep work for about 15 years in order that I may very well be with my youngsters as they grew up. I labored on all the pieces from the PW50 for the little child down the block to the Ducati 998 SPS of a rich businessman.

My store is small, 16×16 ft. Fairly cramped with a milling machine, lathe, welders, floor grinder, and all of the instruments that go along with it. However I’ve been in a position to construct motors, port heads, modify chassis and suspension programs. And dream in regards to the “large construct”. The 1260 motor I’m at present constructing for the Kat. It needs to be enjoyable!

• What’s the make, mannequin, and yr of the donor bike?

1982 GS1000s Katana; Authentic Construct: 1992.

Suzuki Katana GS1000S Custom

• Please inform us about your Katana.

I discovered this “bike of my goals” out behind a storage in Riverside, CA. It had been laid down at Willow Springs Raceway in Rosamond, CA, struggling minor injury. Damaged left engine cowl, bent clip-on, dent in tank. It was marketed for $1000.00 with the alternative engine cowl and clip on! And a blown motor. 18,000 miles. They have been onerous to search out even again then — I grabbed it. The “blown motor” turned out to be a wiring retaining tab rubbing the flywheel making a noise like a nasty bearing.

First experience up Mt. Baldy street instructed me this factor didn’t like to show. That was the catalyst for my mission. I bought 1989 GSX-R1100 components and began stripping the Katana down.

The entrance finish was fairly easy. I made a brand new steering stem, modified the turning stops, shaved the within of the fairing for the broader fork tubes. I used the 1100 tubes, and 750 decrease fork legs in order that I had the size I wanted, and full adjustability.

Suzuki Katana GS1000S Custom

Rear suspension was extra concerned since I used to be making it a mono shock. I needed to shave the within of the body swingarm pivot factors to simply accept the broader GSX-R swingarm. Machined an higher shock mount and welded in mount factors on the body and braced the realm.

The decrease mount was an experiment. Initially, with the decrease mount in place, after I put the bike’s weight on the suspension, it simply sagged. I moved the decrease mount incrementally till the suspension “sat” the place I wished it to. Eyeball engineering I do know, nevertheless it handles nice!

I shaved off the previous shock mounts and tucked the subframe up, making an attempt to get that clear “see via superbike” look.

Constructed an offset countershaft sprocket and machined the rear wheel cush drive hub to maneuver the rear sprocket in to acquire appropriate chain alignment. Additionally transformed to a 530 O-ring chain.

Suzuki Katana GS1000S Custom

Customized fabricated rear set foot controls. Battery and electrical have been all repositioned. Grafted in GSXR swap gear and devices (quickly to be KOSO RX-2 unit).

Suzuki Katana GS1000S Custom

For the reason that unique construct, there have been many little refinements executed. I’ve by no means had the spare money for Ohlins, Dymag, Brembo, and many others., however I’ve at all times had the need to construct and make issues carry out higher. I wish to construct, not simply swap components. From my first TL125 to my present KZ1000 motor shoehorned right into a KZ650 chassis on GPz Suspension.

If this Kat was “experimental,” I suppose it’s a hit. I’ve logged over 100,000 largely canyon and race observe miles within the 34 years I’ve had her. I’ve ridden numerous new bikes through the years, however none seize my coronary heart like my Kat. She was my dream bike, my date bike, in my marriage procession, two-up knee dragging with my spouse, street journeys, taking my youngsters for rides, educating them to experience her, observe time. She’s nonetheless simply as enjoyable now as after I first bought her. She’s a Katana, that makes her particular. She’s household, that makes her priceless.

Suzuki Katana GS1000S Custom

• Are you able to inform us what the driving expertise is like in your Kat?

The Kat is a blast to experience, not simply due to the eye it attracts, there may be nothing else prefer it. However the “old-fashioned” acceleration. It’s not as quick as trendy machines, however you possibly can really feel the motor below acceleration straining on the chassis as if on the lookout for the chance to interrupt free. The modded chassis handles it properly, rock-solid steady, even at excessive speeds. No twitchiness with a lot faster preliminary response to rider inputs.

Suzuki Katana GS1000S Custom

It’s a bike you experience extra bodily, nevertheless it doesn’t throw any surprises. Acceleration is far improved over inventory, and doesn’t take a lot to carry the entrance finish only for enjoyable. And with the upgraded entrance brakes, it is rather widespread to really feel the rear wheel carry off when braking onerous right into a flip. A giant distinction over inventory.

• Is there anybody you’d wish to thank?

I’d wish to thank my spouse for encouraging me to “preserve the dream.” And likewise, to go experience my Montesa 4RT generally and neglect about work for a bit.

Full Construct Sheet

Chassis:

  • 17-inch wheels and suspension (1989 GSX-R1100).
  • Tokico six-piston brake calipers.
  • Discacciati Floating Brake Rotors.
  • Fox “Twin clicker” mono shock (GSX-R750).
  • Body braced, higher and decrease mono shock mounts added.
  • Subframe modified.
  • Customized foot controls on bronze pivot bushings, with ball bearing linkages.

Engine:

  • 1982 GS1000 motor, ported head, inventory camshafts degreed.
  • GS750 oil pump gears.
  • APE clutch pack.
  • Handbook camchain tensioner.
  • Earls 14 row oil cooler.
  • Spin-on oil filter conversion.
  • Dyna S ignition, Dyna coils.
  • Keihin 33 mm smoothbore carburetors, Ok&N pod filters.
  • Pingel, twin feed petcock.
  • Clutch cowl, sprocket cowl from Ballistic Efficiency in Australia.
  • GSX-R1100 Yoshimura 4 into 1 exhaust. Modified to suit.
  • JW Speaker Headlight.
  • Seat cowl by Raul’s Auto Trim in Ontario, CA.

Paint:

Gloss Black with Violet Pearl clear coat, and lightning graphics by PMT Design in Redlands, CA.

 



The post Suzuki Katana GS1000S – BikeBound appeared first on lickscycles.com.



source https://lickscycles.com/suzuki-katana-gs1000s-bikebound/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=suzuki-katana-gs1000s-bikebound

No comments:

Post a Comment

2025 CFMOTO Ibex 450 Overview | First Experience

The 2025 CFMOTO Ibex 450 is a good addition to the ADV phase. We gave it a correct thrash on the world launch in Palawan, Philippines, a...