Wednesday 1 March 2023

Interview: Joel Rizzi – Hawkstone Worldwide MX2 winner and gearing up for MX2 GP’s


Interview: Joel Rizzi – Hawkstone International MX2 winner and gearing up for MX2 GP’s

There aren’t too many full time British Motocross riders within the Grand Prix paddock anymore after Searle and Simpson have determined to give attention to Nationwide racing however one in all them is Joel Rizzi. The likeable younger Brit is with the Riley Yamaha Racing workforce so hasn’t really raced within the UK for some time so he loved being again in entrance of a packed dwelling crowd at Hawkstone Worldwide.

The MX2 class may not have had the depth it often does however Rizzi nonetheless rode nicely and clinched the win, good preparation for the MX2 GP’s the place he’ll race each spherical together with the fly away rounds for the primary time.

We caught up with Rizzi to debate his Hawkstone win and ideas for the season forward.

GateDrop: Joel, a reasonably good day for you right here at Hawkstone Worldwide profitable the MX2 class. Clearly Haarup didn’t come and it’s possibly not as stacked because it often is however a win to begin the season, you’ll be able to’t ask for rather more than that…

Rizzi: No, no, it was good. It was good to be again on dwelling soil to be sincere on the legendary Hawkstone Park. I’ve not been within the UK for practically three years now so it was good to see a house crowd and stuff like that. The competitors wasn’t as stacked as traditional nevertheless it was simply good to get the race nerves out of the best way and get a win below my belt, that’s very nice.

GateDrop: In that second moto there you had been locked in an intense battle with Jake Nicholls, clearly he’s retired however on the identical time he rides quite a bit and has a lot expertise – he’s’ been there and carried out it! It will need to have been good to battle with him and you bought the higher of him on the finish!

Rizzi: I gained it in the long run. It was simply his expertise, making an attempt to cross him he knew precisely the place I used to be each time and he was going for it. For an previous man he was fairly good (laughs) nevertheless it was good enjoyable battling. Within the final one with Shaun Simpson within the tremendous last it was good. To be battling with some good riders, I’ve now received a giant race subsequent weekend at Lierop. We nonetheless aren’t 100% prepared with the bike setup and stuff like that however within the final race I really feel like I had the most effective setup on the bike so we’re simply going to enhance and enhance on the bike.

GateDrop: How’s issues going with the Riley Yamaha workforce? You had been with them final yr too so that you’ve received that continuity now and final yr you missed some racing, might you remind us why that was?

Rizzi: I received Covid-19 and I simply wasn’t match sufficient. I wasn’t match sufficient however a brand new coach has got here onboard and he has helped a lot over winter. Like at the moment, I might push each lap for all three 30 minute moto’s. I’ve by no means felt so match, we’ve had a great winter. Me and the workforce are like household, we put all the things in, they put all the things into me and I put all the things in for them. I’m nonetheless studying, you realize I’ve had two tough years within the GP class however I lastly really feel like I’m in a great place for the GP’s. Possibly I moved up a little bit bit too early however now I really feel able to battle for the highest ten and even higher.

GateDrop: As you talked about there you just about straight up from EMX125 to MX2 GP’s, what was it like being a part of Livia Lancelot’s Honda workforce and being workforce mates with Ruben Fernandez, he has went from power to power so I’m certain you had been capable of choose up great things from him?

Rizzi: For certain, I couldn’t have requested to have a greater workforce for my first yr with good individuals and a great workforce mate. We had been in a great location and had good tracks however Riley Racing is extra of a household and we put all the things into it. They’ve received my principal assist whereas at 114, Ruben was the principle rider and he deserved all that as a result of he was placing within the outcomes. We’re working exhausting with Riley now, they need me to get to the highest and I need them to get to the highest. We need to do it collectively and I actually really feel like we will.

GateDrop: When it comes to your winter, did you alter something coming into this yr compared to different years? You’ve a brand new coach by the sounds of it…

Rizzi: A brand new coach, a dietitian, a health coach, all the things! I’m lastly doing it the skilled means. I might say that is my first winter doing it correctly… you may say I could possibly be doing it by myself however I wouldn’t actually know what to do. This winter I’ve simply put all the things into it. I’m not anticipating it right away however I do really feel the velocity I’ve on the observe tracks and even in that tremendous last, I felt actually good. I really feel like I can take it to the GP’s.

GateDrop: Simply on the MX2 World Championship, it seems like you can be doing the complete championship so the fly aways as nicely. That have to be fairly thrilling and get to race at Argentina for the primary time…

Rizzi: I’m actually excited to do all of the fly aways. I’m fortunate sufficient to have an incredible workforce who’re doing the complete season. I’m simply wanting ahead to getting the races below my belt, I feel final yr I did 5 or 6 GP’s so simply to maintain bettering and I need to try to get some good begins then push for the primary 5 minutes on the entrance. I need to maintain pushing and increasing that point on the entrance  till it’s the complete half-hour the place I can maintain it up entrance.

GateDrop: On British skills, I really feel like guys coming in after the likes of Searle, Watson and Mewse… In MX2 we’ve solely your self. Do you discover it fairly disappointing that not as many British guys do GP’s than prior to now? You might be left to fly the flag in MX2!

Rizzi: Yeah, I do know, it’s unhappy. There’s a lot British expertise however they don’t have the backing to do the GP’s. I feel in whole there’s solely two British riders doing the GP’s, myself and Watson as a result of Bobby Bruce is doing EMX250. It’s what it’s, I feel coming by way of there’s a little bit of British expertise however they only want the backing to get to the GP’s.

GateDrop: Simply on Nationwide racing, I think about you’ll be doing the Dutch Masters, do you have got any plans to do the occasional British wildcard race?

Rizzi: No, I don’t suppose so. The Dutch Masters and the MX2 GP’s, simply doing them is sufficient racing. It’s loopy and particularly not being within the EU, coming by way of the tunnel and stuff like that’s fairly tough for European groups.

Interview: Andy McKinstry

Photographs: Leigh Wootton



The post Interview: Joel Rizzi – Hawkstone Worldwide MX2 winner and gearing up for MX2 GP’s appeared first on lickscycles.com.



source https://lickscycles.com/interview-joel-rizzi-hawkstone-worldwide-mx2-winner-and-gearing-up-for-mx2-gps/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=interview-joel-rizzi-hawkstone-worldwide-mx2-winner-and-gearing-up-for-mx2-gps

No comments:

Post a Comment

2025 CFMOTO Ibex 450 Overview | First Experience

The 2025 CFMOTO Ibex 450 is a good addition to the ADV phase. We gave it a correct thrash on the world launch in Palawan, Philippines, a...