Sunday 18 June 2023

Moxie Honda CB550 Café Racer BikeBound


Honda CB550 Cafe Racer
Picture: Handbuilt Present / Revival Cycles

Engineer Mat Kubak’s Funds-Constructed Honda 550 Café Racer… 

We at all times love to listen to the origin tales of the builders who grace our pages. Whereas many develop up round bikes — using, racing, and rebuilding grime bikes or small-bore machines — it’s particularly inspiring to listen to from those that come to bikes a bit later in life, discovering a terrific font of non-public ardour and objective that gave the impression to be ready for all of them alongside.

Honda CB550 Cafe Racer

Our new buddy Mateusz “Mat” Kubak (@m_kubak) is such a builder.  He purchased his first bike simply six years in the past, a Honda Shadow 600, which quickly led to his first customized venture within the type of a 1978 Honda CB750K he nicknamed “Harma” — the Greek work for chariot. Says Mat:

“I spent all of my internship cash changing that bike right into a café racer. It was just like the little one I by no means knew I wished. Studying to interrupt down a motorbike was an addicting expertise. It was on the conclusion of that venture that I noticed I wished to have extra stake within the customization of a motorbike and do extra from scratch.”

Honda CB550 Cafe Racer

The 1974 Honda CB550 you see right here was the subsequent step in that course of.  Not solely did Mat plan to problem himself with extra customized fabrication work, however the monetary piece of the puzzle could be one other focus:

“After spending a number of thousand {dollars} on the CB750K, I wished to maintain expenditures to a minimal and ended up with the ability to construct this bike for slightly below $2,500.”

Honda CB550 Cafe Racer

Nicknamed “Moxie,” the bike was featured within the 2023 Handbuilt Present, and we are able to inform you it seems to be nothing like a funds construct. Mat did most the entire work himself, too:

“I had numerous firsts with the CB550 together with including knee dents, portray a tank and tail, spoking wheels, pinstriping, to call a couple of.”

Honda CB550 Cafe Racer

He credit his spouse for selecting a shade with a refined classic look, particularly Rustoleum Nantucket Blue, which he laid down himself together with the SprayMax 2K clear. Then there’s the best way the bike rides. Like numerous riders, Mat discovered that he really prefers the 550 to his previous 750:

“I’ve discovered that I just like the lighter bikes extra. It’s extremely nimble and enjoyable at turns…. It won’t beat an R6 in a race, however it’ll make me smile from level A to level B.”

Honda CB550 Cafe Racer

And that’s a very powerful half, Mat! Kudos on pushing your expertise and data into new areas, and we are able to’t wait to see what comes from the metal-shaping, machining, and TIG welding you’re studying along with your subsequent construct!

Honda CB550 Café Racer: Builder Interview

CB550 Cafe Racers

• Please inform us a bit about your self, your historical past with bikes, and your workshop.

My title is Mateusz (Mat) Kubak. I’ve a bachelors in mechanical engineering, work as a venture engineer, and revel in constructing issues. My historical past with bikes is comparatively brief — I bought my first bike about six years in the past. It was a Honda Shadow VLX600, and the very first thing I wished to do was tear it aside and customise it to what I wished it to seem like. Nevertheless, I didn’t need to get forward of myself, so I simply painted the fairings. Lower than a 12 months later, I stumbled upon café racers.

CB550 Cafe Racers

I bought the Shadow and bought a 1978 Honda CB750K (named Harma, the Greek phrase for chariot). I spent all of my internship cash changing that bike right into a café racer. It was just like the little one I by no means knew I wished. Studying to interrupt down a motorbike was an addicting expertise. It was on the conclusion of that venture that I noticed I wished to have extra stake within the customization of a motorbike and do extra from scratch.

CB550 Cafe Racers

Ultimately, I bought Harma and bought a beaten-down 1974 CB550. I took what I discovered from the CB750K construct and utilized it to the CB550. I wished it to be extra of a nod to the retro aesthetic of café racers. I had numerous firsts with the CB550 together with including knee dents, portray a tank and tail, spoking wheels, pinstriping, to call a couple of.

Honda CB550 Cafe Racer

I’m onto my subsequent bike venture and I’m taking over greater than I’ve earlier than. I’m designing and fabricating my very own tank cowl (fiberglass), constructing a hidden metal tank, TIG welding, shaping/forming steel, customized machining components, and extra.

• What’s the make, mannequin, and 12 months of the donor bike?

1974 Honda CB550.

CB550 Cafe Racers

• Why was this bike constructed?

This was constructed as a private venture and an exploration into customized fabrication. It was additionally a problem in budgeting. After spending a number of thousand {dollars} on the CB750K, I wished to maintain expenditures to a minimal and ended up with the ability to construct this bike for slightly below $2,500.

CB550 Cafe Racers

• What was the design idea and what influenced the construct?

As talked about above, it’s a nod to the retro aesthetic of café racers. The colour decisions, weight discount, and pinstriping showcase that retro look — whereas the 4 into 1 exhaust, slim entrance finish, decrease stance, and pod filters (with re-jetted carbs) give it newer age efficiency and really feel. It won’t beat an R6 in a race, however it’ll make me smile from level A to level B.

CB550 Cafe Racers

• What customized work was executed to the bike?
  • Fiberglass tail
  • Fiberglass seat pan
  • Hammered in knee dents
  • Paint job (Rustoleum Nantucket Blue)
  • Pinstriping
  • Carb re-jetting
  • Handlebar clamp repurposing for indicator lights
  • Airbox to pod filters
  • Delkevic 4 into 1 exhaust system with straight pipe
  • Satin black powder coat
  • Motogadget mo.Unit rewiring
  • Formed and upholstered rebond foam seat (by Sinister Seats)
  • Minimalistic handlebar controls
  • Welded rear body hoop + plate
  • Steering damper
• Does the bike have a nickname?

Moxie.

• Are you able to inform us what it’s wish to experience this bike?

It’s an absolute pleasure. Going from the CB750 to the CB550, I’ve discovered that I just like the lighter bikes extra. It’s extremely nimble and enjoyable at turns. I do miss the off-the-line acceleration that I had with the CB750, however I choose the general experience expertise of the CB550.

CB550 Cafe Racers

As well as, anybody that has seen the aggressive angle on the handlebars assumes my again and wrists are at all times in ache — nevertheless, I didn’t change the unique location of the foot pegs. As a result of they’re of their authentic spots, my weight remains to be largely at my hips and I’m not placing tons of stress into my wrists, nor do I’ve to lean over an excessive amount of. It’s solely throughout braking that my weight begins shifting. On the times that I’m feeling taller, I can virtually sit up.

CB550 Cafe Racers

• Was there something executed throughout this construct that you’re notably happy with?

I’m proud that I used to be capable of persuade my spouse to choose the colour of the bike. She has a watch for shade and once I informed her I wished a shade that was a “refined pop” of classic, she delivered. It was my first time portray a motorbike and I didn’t need to spend cash on a portray rig, so I purchased the bottom shade rattle can, SprayMax 2K clear coat, and went to city.

CB550 Cafe Racers

There was a slight studying curve regarding the correct spraying strategy of the 2K clear coat, however I used to be ultimately capable of lay it down effectively sufficient after which polish out many of the imperfections. I’m happy with the best way it seems to be and I’m happy with the best way it rides.

CB550 Cafe Racers

Observe the Builder

Instagram: @m_kubak
Web site: www.mkubak.com (Presently beneath building)



The post “Moxie” Honda CB550 Café Racer – BikeBound appeared first on lickscycles.com.



source https://lickscycles.com/moxie-honda-cb550-cafe-racer-bikebound/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=moxie-honda-cb550-cafe-racer-bikebound

No comments:

Post a Comment

2025 CFMOTO Ibex 450 Overview | First Experience

The 2025 CFMOTO Ibex 450 is a good addition to the ADV phase. We gave it a correct thrash on the world launch in Palawan, Philippines, a...