That is the field cyclists can use to attend on the head of stationary site visitors stopped at crimson lights (though a lot of the ones I see don’t even trouble stopping! Lunatics!).

I used to be simply going to just accept the provide as I do know I shouldn’t have been there. I get the field is there to assist in making certain the security of cyclists on the street. Nonetheless, as I’ve a V5, i.e. a authorized doc that states my Fazer is a ‘bicycle’ I reckon I can legally argue I’m allowed to be there with the opposite bicycles. What do you suppose? Do I’ve a defence? I’m fairly good at public talking so it doesn’t faze me.

Reply

Firstly, I recognize you pondering ‘outdoors the field’ (no pun meant!). Alas, while chances are you’ll be good at public talking and your V5 might state ‘bicycle’, the lengthy and quick is your Fazer is a ‘motor cycle’ for the needs of this offence.

A ‘motor cycle’ is outlined at s.185 of the Highway Visitors Act 1988 as a ‘…mechanically propelled automobile, not being an invalid carriage, with lower than 4 wheels and the burden of which unladen doesn’t exceed 410 kilograms’.

Your Fazer falls slap bang into this definition and due to this fact my recommendation is to just accept the provide if the indicators acknowledged the field was for cyclists solely.

Andrew Prendergast

Motorbike Sport & Leisure – August 2022